
I have been blessed with a fast metabolism. I pretty much weigh the same since high school, which makes it awfully difficult to gain weight. I know I shouldn't complain, but I still do my best to maintain good fitness and health. I'm pretty sure someday, my metabolism will slow down, and I'll wish I appreciated it more. I have a 24 hour fitness pass, and I try to go 2-3 times a week for yoga, pilates or lately, zumba.
Anyways, all that working out has been irrelevant this past weekend since all I did was eat delicious food. lol.
Saturday: My close friends and I went to our usual spot for dinner, Dumpling Master, located on Hacienda and Newton. They probably have the best fried dumplings I've ever had! It has the perfect crisp and taste with the addition of their soy sauce and red spicey sauce. Their fried rice, and fried Chinese style quesadillas are equally excellent. We then proceeded to Jungle in Yes Plaza which is an arcade/boba place. My friend, Dee, ordered this great chocolate boba drink which tasted exactly like a fudgicle. Those who know me well, know my addiction to all things chocolate so this was great! Good food and good company made for a chill and fun Saturday night.
Sunday: I had a meeting with my co-curators Lyn and Heather (of Pillow Thoughts) at Redondo Beach Cafe on PCH, which is owned by a Greek family. I got lost for about a good half an hour
-_- which is typical for me. I should really invest in a navi. Anyways, they had these amazing sweet potato fries cooked in honey and cinammon. I would have never thought to cook them in honey. I ordered their carrot cake to go since its my mom's favorite. To my surprise, Lyn brought me two dozen chocolate chews from Torrance Bakery. Chocolate chews are like a cookie/brownie hybrid (and they're pictured above). They're probably the best cookies I've ever had! I was very thankful and excited to bring them to my family. Back at Walnut, my family was a having a sort of surprise barbecue for Hector, who is married to my ate Jenn. We're big on celebrating birthdays, but we have never celebrated his until now. We had the usual Filipino food staples - chicken barbecue skewers, lechon with mang thomas sauce, camote tops with vinegar (get those vegetable servings in!), dumpling soup, etc. My mom made instant noodles (dry teriyaki noodles) for some reason as well. She said its a Filipino tradition to make noodles because it blesses the birthday celebrant with a long life. For dessert, there was ube ice cream, ben and jerry's chunky monkey, and java chip ice cream from Starbucks which were good compliments to the chocolate chews.
Monday: I know this is deviating from the title of this blog since it only refers to the weekend, but I guess I'm not finished talking about food. lol. There's this Italian place in Walnut Village called Bella Napoli's, which has the best pizza around. Their chicken pesto pizza is legendary! They're known for their white pizzas, which I'm assuming is mostly mozzzarella with very little red sauce, if any at all. My mom made sinigang for dinner which is this Filipino tamarind-based soup which is comforting on a cold night and also healthy.
Alright, I should start my lesson planning instead of procrastinating. I love delicious food if you can't already tell! I hope you try out any of these places (Dumpling Master, Jungle, Bella Napoli) if you're in the San Gabriel Valley area! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment