Sunday, August 8, 2010

Coming of Age



I can't seem to stop watching the film, (500) Days of Summer. I blame it on my shameless addiction to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which was catalyzed by my viewing of the movie, Inception, twice. Inception is excellent, and I'd see for a third time.

I really do love this movie about 500 days in man's failed relationship. Its not the typical, formulaic romance/comedy, but a coming of age tale.

"We arrive at a different conclusion, for one thing. Plus, most romantic comedies are more loyal to a formula than to emotional truth. It's about happiness, and learning that you'll find it within yourself, rather than in the big blue eyes of the girl in the cubicle down the hall. I wanted to make an unsentimental movie and an uncynical movie." - director, Marc Webb

I'm single, in a sea of friends and relatives who are already married, or who have already seemed to have picked out their future husbands and wives. I could be cynical about that, but there really is no reason to be. Its easy to assume that finding "the one" could fill that void we feel in ourselves at times, when we don't have those last calls of the day, or texts in between breaks. Its cliche to say "you have to be happy with yourself before you make someone else happy," but its so true, and easier said than done. As much as I know I want to be married and have children someday, I'd rather work on a life I'd want to live for myself, than settle for anything less than the best in terms of companionship. I want that inner happiness before building anything great with someone else. Perhaps I may seem selfish to some extent, but its true. I only hope I can live up to these mottos.

No comments:

Post a Comment