
After I graduated college in 2008, I just wanted to work at an art museum. Preferably the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena. That was the dream. I traded it in for more realistic and stable pursuits, but I don't think I'll ever let this particular dream go.
In dreams begin responsibilities, and I'm still searching for where I belong. I only hope it involves art in some way, some form. The Norton Simon Museum recently had a job opening in their curatorial department of their Southeast Asian and Indian Collections. (!) I applied. Maybe someday I'll be qualified for it. I don't think I have much experience as far as classes, seminars, and research in Southeast Asian art, but its nice to day dream about what could be.
Curatorial - Southeast Asian and Indian collections, Full Time
We seek an experienced and qualified person to oversee and curate the superb Norton Simon Asian collection, one which spans two millennia and which is primarily comprised of sculpture, but also textiles, metalwork, paintings on paper, and decorative arts from the Indian subcontinent, the Himalayas, China, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia. Responsibilities will include general oversight of this collection's permanent installation, as well as contributing to the temporary exhibition schedule. Duties also involve researching, updating and approving bibliographic and content information for the collection in all media, including audio guide text, web entries, labels, brochures, newsletters, press releases, exhibition catalogues and all other museum publications pertaining to the Asian collection. In consultation with Chief Curator and Conservator, this position will also regularly survey the collection and provide input and recommendations on general status of the condition and display of the objects.
Salary and level within the curatorial structure will be commensurate with academic credentials and prior museum and/or teaching experience. This is a full time position, with full benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and a pension plan.
Please submit resume or questions by email or post to:
Chief Curator
Norton Simon Museum
411 West Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91105-1825
or email to artresume@nortonsimon.org
No telephone inquiries please.
No comments:
Post a Comment