Thursday, February 4, 2010

Reasons

There are many places for me to write - my myspace (which is so dated now), my facebook, my comp book, my mini-note book of lists, Microsoft word, etc. Everytime I am compelled to write, it is rather lengthy, wordy, and deserves a space of its own. I guess I just wanted a place for the sole purpose to be one with my writing, one with my thoughts without too much distraction. Feedback is also welcomed and appreciated in this blogspot space to create dialogue, the genesis of thought provoking ideas, etc. Your thoughts are just important as my thoughts. I created this blog for the following reasons as well:

1) To get better at writing. Although I have a degree in literary journalism, I was not the best student. I was mostly average. It was a difficult major that surpassed the fundamentals of journalism, which are the very basics I tend to forget. I believe writing is a life long process. You only get better if you continue to write, and make time for the practice. I love to write, but I believe that I still have much to work on. Here's to writing improvement skills in 2010!

2) All I ever wanted to write about in my journalism classes was art. I gravitated towards museums, exhibitions, cultural events. I wanted to begin an art blog, to vent about how the arts are poorly prioritized these days. Then I realized knowing me, and my scatter brained thoughts, I'll probably find a way to write about other topics I care deeply for.

3) "Once More, With Feeling" is the title of this blog. It is also the title of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode (Season 6, Episode 7) where a mysterious force impels Buffy and the Scooby Gang (the name of her entourage) to burst into song, revealing their true feelings. I can only hope to be as honest, passionate, yet also filtered through my writing.

So it begins... the genesis of endless chronicling.

Mike Sager: A writer writes. Writing is editing. Less is more. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment