Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Is a singer, an artist?"


“Is a singer, an artist?” was a question my lovely friend, Diana, posed while we were dining at Coconut Bay after the 101 Cup Thoughts exhibition. We pondered our mid-20 something lives with good conversation about love, empowerment, and ambition, consuming great Thai food, and of course beer. She handled her usual dosage of blue moon with that really cute orange slice garnish, while I, only needing one Tsing Tao to feel wonderfully buzzed (lightweight!), began to feel comfortable about contemplating such general yet thought provoking questions.

At that moment, I thought about her question and a memory of Diana flashed in my mind of her, singing “Foolish Games” by Jewel when she was 16 or 17 years old. She was in show choir, and she performed this song during some Spring high school showcase. Dressed in all black with dark rimmed glasses behind a wooden podium beneath the warm lights, I couldn’t see the emotion in her face as she seemed shy enough to deliberately hide her eyes from the world. I definitely felt the raw pain in her mellifluous voice while listening to the lyrics “Excuse me, think I’ve mistaken you for somebody else, somebody who gave a damn, somebody more like myself.” It was a song about being in love with someone who was possibly elitist or selfish – and not being able to stop loving them. I wondered if it was a crime to want someone like ourselves? Someone who cared about something other than themselves and had the same important values as us. Someone who wouldn’t play these cyclical “foolish games.” Diana sang it with what felt like real heart breaking conviction of adoration, pain, and pity. She moved one of the audience members to tears.


Then my mind darted off to Lady Gaga’s performance of her song “Paparazzi” during MTV’s Video Music Awards last September. It was less about singing, and more of an art installation and performance. It put me in shock, but I knew the performance was a re-enactment of Princess Diana’s death and how the relentless and inhumane paparazzi kept snapping photos as she lay dying in the shattered car. To Lady Gaga, Diana was the most devastating and iconic martyr of fame. That woman died because of her fame. They banked on her misfortune. At the end of the performance, Lady Gaga had blood dripping from her ribcage screaming at the media vultures- the song’s namesake. She tells a real story about pop culture and society. Is this shocking performance art necessary? Though it has been subjected to much criticism, Lady Gaga couldn’t care less. Perhaps, she is an extreme example of how a singer can be an artist, but she definitely transcends different mediums of art to convey her message. I love this quote from a Barbara Walters interview with Lady Gaga. Her biggest misconception- “That I am artificial and attention seeking, when the truth is that every bit of me is devoted to love and art….I aspire to try to be a teacher to my young fans. Who felt just like I felt when I was younger. I felt like a freak. I want to liberate them. I want to free them from their fears and make them feel that they could create their own space in the world.” Unapologetic, bold, and daring- qualities about Lady Gaga, and artists in general I find so beautiful.


Thinking about the question, “Is a singer an artist?” now, sans alcohol, my answer is simply yes, without a doubt. Labeling oneself an artist is a general umbrella for all creative people –painters, sculptors, dancers, singers, culinary artists, martial artists, gardeners, writers, etc. To be an artist, is to have something inside that we need to express to the world whether it is in the form of a song, drawing or a bonsai tree. I have nothing but the utmost respect and affection for other artists, and their dedication. To sing is to pour emotion, soul and heart into a song that can constantly mean something else depending on the way it is sung. It is a permeable medium that can molded and shaped by every unique vocalist who encounters an inspiring cover, and decides to make it their own as well. It is a piece of ourselves we leave for no specific audience to experience. For artists like Lady Gaga, she makes her songs from scratch writing her own lyrics and music- which is very impressive. I’m idealistic in thinking all artists are true to their work, always original, and inspired. The effort to create is admirable in itself. For my fellow shy friends, creative expression is freedom to be who we are without shame or hesitance in front of other people. Perhaps Lady Gaga was also referring to shy people who feel like freaks sometimes- freaks she wants to liberate to be themselves and be proud despite outside judgement.

This was way longer than I thought it was going to be. That’s usually the case when I write.
What better way to end this blog with a quote from my favorite hip hop artist, Common.

“I just want to encourage each and every person that’s out there, to stay faithful. Faithful to the most high. Faithful to yourself and what you believe in. Faithful to your art, and your culture, and your people. Stay faithful."



No comments:

Post a Comment